Good mental health is just as important as good physical health. But we all face changes in life that can challenge our emotional well–being.
Whatever happens in your life, make your mental health a priority. You'll feel better and deal with stress better. These ideas can help improve your mental health and keep your spirits up:
1. Stay in touch with family and friends . Maintaining relationships is good for your mental health. Call and/or visit your relatives or friends.
2. Give yourself time to adjust to major life changes . If you are retiring or moving, be prepared to feel a loss.
The same is true if your spouse or a friend dies. Grieving is natural and necessary.
3. Keep busy with mentally stimulating activities . Consider volunteering or taking a class. Explore new interests, such as learning another language.
4. Get a pet . A pet can be a wonderful companion. Pet owners get more exercise and have more social contact than those without a pet.
5. Exercise . Take a walk or ride a bike. Exercise improves how you feel mentally, as well as physically.
6. Get enough sleep . Lack of sleep can contribute to depression. Try to get as much sleep as you need.
7. Practice optimism and good humor . A positive attitude and laughter boost your mood. Spend time with people who make you laugh. Rent funny movies.
8. Call Your EAP . Contact Cascade for assistance. Counselors are available by phone 24 hours/7 days a week . Call us at 800.433.2320 .